I study language acquisition in children. I am interested in how children acquire sociolinguistic variation and how variable input affects their acquisition of grammar.
- Miller, K. (accepted) Acquisition of variable rules: /s/-lenition in the speech of Chilean Spanish-speaking children and their caregivers. Language Variation and Change.
- Miller, K. (2013) Variable Input: What Sarah reveals about non-agreeing don't and theories of root infinitives. Language Acquisition: A Journal of Developmental Linguistics.
- Miller, K. & Schmitt, C. (2012) Variable input and the acquisition of plural morphology.Language Acquisition: A Journal of Language Development, 19 (3), 223-261.
- Miller, K. (2012) Not all children agree: Acquisition of agreement when the input is variable. Language Learning & Development, 8 (3), 255-277.
- Miller, K. (2012) Sociolinguistic Variation in Brown's Sarah Corpus. In: Boston University Conference on Language Development (BUCLD) Proceedings 36. (eds.) A. Biller, E. Chung, A. Kimbal, 339-348, Cascadilla Press.
- Miller, K. (2011) Acquisition of Agreement Marking on 'do': A Production- Comprehension Asymmetry. In: N. Danis, K. Mesh, and H. Sung (eds.) Proceedings of the 35th annual Boston University Conference on Language Development, 2010, Cascadilla Press, 466-476.
- Miller, K. & Schmitt, C. (2010) Effects of variable input in the acquisition of plural in two dialects of Spanish. Lingua 120 (5) 1178-1193.
- Schmitt, C. & Miller, K. (2010) Using comprehension methods in language acquisition research. In: S. Unsworth & E. Blom (eds.) Experimental Methods in Language Acquisition Research, John Benjamins, 35-56.
- Miller, K. & Schmitt, C. (2009) Syllable-final /s/ lenition and the acquisition of plural morphology in Spanish-speaking children. In: J. Grinstead (ed.) Hispanic Child Languages: Typical and Impaired Development. John Benjamins, 3-27.
- Schmitt, C. & Miller, K. (2007) Making discourse dependent decisions: The case of the copulas ser and estar in Spanish. Lingua, 117 (11), 1907-1929.
- Miller, K. & Schmitt, C. (2004) An experimental study of child comprehension of Spanish indefinites and bare singulars. Language Acquisition: A Journal of Developmental Linguistics, 12 (3&4), 247-256.
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant #BCS 1251989. (with Carrie Jackson and Alison Hendricks), Doctoral Dissertation Research: Inconsistent input and amount of exposure: Child second language acquisition of Fering, a dialect of North Frisian. [$15,118], Feb-2013 - present.